This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Text to Speach Stuttering

Hi there - this is my first post and I've done a search, but can't figure out what exactly to do. Bought the Nuvi 760 a few weeks ago and have dutifilly downloaded the 4.60 software update, but my Nuvi developed a speach impediment (stuttering) with the British Vocie a few days ago. So I reloaded the 4.6 software and changed to the Amercian voice and the stutter is back - any suggestions would be gratefully received - I'm thinking of taking this puppy back to Costco and getting another one - or a Magellan - just in the expectation that I got the lemon in the bunch.

I can't send it in to Garmin for repair either 'cause I need it in a couple of weeks for a trip.

TIA
Barb

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Have you checked for voice updates in the Garmin “Additional Updates” section of WebUpdater?
  • BarCol 0 Points
    yes Tim. did that as well. Any other suggestions???
  • MUCH discussion about the stuttering on the 760 TTS voices...
    (I had 2 of the 760's befire opting for the 765)
    do a search for TTS editor and many report better results by setting the voice rate from 45 to 50....

and chk with webupdater almost daily - seems the voices are updated a lot :)
  • BarCol 0 Points
    Well we returned Nuvi 760 number 1 and have got number 2 updated for both maps and speech, so we'll see.. Not happy to hear that we may have to go up to a 765 or higher to correct the problem, but I guess what will be will be - a GPS with a speech impediment is just too funny for w-w-word-d-d-s :lol: thanks for you help and I'll keep reading the forums!
  • dclambert 0 Points
    Another issue with the 760 - voice updates don't seem to register as being updated on WebUdater, although someone here mentioned a work-around through the diagnostics screen.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    This is a long-standing bug with all new units (the nuvi 3xx/6xx don't have this problem). No matter how many times you update the voices on the unit, WebUpdater will report them (sometimes randomly) as having an update available.
  • grease 0 Points
    Going back to 4.2 cured stutter on my 760. You can also try switching to 2d mode with 4.6.
  • dclambert 0 Points
    This is a long-standing bug with all new units (the nuvi 3xx/6xx don't have this problem). No matter how many times you update the voices on the unit, WebUpdater will report them (sometimes randomly) as having an update available.
    Yes I've noticed that too. Oh well, just gotta keep track of your versions in the diagnostic.
  • ac12 0 Points
    On my 750
    - 4.6 with 2D still stutters.
    - 4.6 with 3D does NOT stutter (at least I don't hear it)

This is after I updated my web updater and redownloaded and installed both the firmware and the voice files per instructions from Garmin.
  • grease 0 Points
    what TTS voice do you use?
  • dclambert 0 Points
    On my 750
    - 4.6 with 2D still stutters.
    - 4.6 with 3D does NOT stutter (at least I don't hear it)

This is after I updated my web updater and redownloaded and installed both the firmware and the voice files per instructions from Garmin.
    I seem to have eliminated stutter in all TTS by kicking the tempo up to 50, regardless of display setting, but I also removed all favorite destinations that I didn't need for good measure.
  • ac12 0 Points
    grease
    I used US Jill and Jack, Australian Karen, and English Emily. The voice did not make a difference in eliminating the stutter in 2D mode.

I have yet to try increasing the tempo as dclambert mentioned.
  • Nick 0 Points
    Thousands of buyers have returned GPS for TTS voices that sounded like
    jiggling coins in the GPS's tiny quarter-size speaker - including a Garmin 255W and a Magellan 1412 by myself. The TTS is definitely overrated, and
    absoluyely not user friendly. Buyers tolerate it - not enjoy it. Solution?
    Select English - no TTS. Crystal clear digital sound, and normal rate of sound - not like the rushing sound of TTS. Remember: When we are in the car, there are many competing noises, music, wind, engine, etc., and TTS becomes another aggravating - but avoidable- factor.

How would you know the name of your next steet turn without TTS, or the next highway exit? It is displayed on the top of your screen! TTS to me is like a pebble inside your shoe: Buyers don't love it; they hate it! But peopel grudgingly toletate it, and use it, because this worthless marketing feature has become a cachet of a "gotta have" factor.
  • wscott52 0 Points
    Thousands of buyers have returned GPS for TTS voices that sounded like
    jiggling coins in the GPS's tiny quarter-size speaker - including a Garmin 255W and a Magellan 1412 by myself. The TTS is definitely overrated, and
    absoluyely not user friendly. Buyers tolerate it - not enjoy it. Solution?
    Select English - no TTS. Crystal clear digital sound, and normal rate of sound - not like the rushing sound of TTS. Remember: When we are in the car, there are many competing noises, music, wind, engine, etc., and TTS becomes another aggravating - but avoidable- factor.

How would you know the name of your next steet turn without TTS, or the next highway exit? It is displayed on the top of your screen! TTS to me is like a pebble inside your shoe: Buyers don't love it; they hate it! But peopel grudgingly toletate it, and use it, because this worthless marketing feature has become a cachet of a "gotta have" factor.
    How do you know thousands of normally functioning GPS units have been returned because purchasers could not stand TTS? I suspect you are a very small minority. I have TTS on three units and would not be without it. Yes you can see the name of the road to turn on by looking at the unit but that requires looking away from the road. Anything that lets me spend more time looking at the road and traffic is a good thing for me. Aside from the occasional quirky pronunciation the Nuvi 255 voice is completely accepatable to me using American English Samantha. 70% volume is normally enough because I don't like loud music or wind noise. My windows are up and the radio is off or set low. TTS makes using a GPS safer and more effective for me and I suspect most people. Lucky you you can turn it off if you want to.
  • dclambert 0 Points
    And I couldn't live without my good friend Aussie-English Karen to chat with as I travel.
  • Nick 0 Points
    To Wscott52:

GPS is a display help navigation instrument, not a sound device that help you drive without taking your eyes off the street. If you don't want to use the display of next street/exit name, the turning arrow, distance to next turn, zooming turning arrow , speed of the car, speed limit, and arrival time, then you forego the best features of the GPS for a scrappy voice.

How do I know? The forums are full of TTS complaints and returns, and others who beg computer gurus on this forum for help them improve their TTS. I enjoyed the melodious sound of pre-recorded voice guidance of my prior Garmin Street Pilot c330 for 7 years, and I do the same on my new 255. I don't need the "gotta have" squawk of the TTS, you can enjoy yours.
  • dclambert 0 Points
    In 1.2 miles, please take Anger Management Blvd.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    LOL...I was thinking the same thing....TTS is one of the best features they added, it keeps us looking at the road not at the unit, huge safety feature!
    In 1.2 miles, please take Anger Management Blvd.
  • joecott 0 Points
    4.6 ....stuttering
    4.2 ....no stuttering
    as simple as that
  • ac12 0 Points
    4.5 also did not have stuttering.
    BUT seems that was a factory load, and not available.
    I asked to back date my fw from 4.6 to 4.5, and they referred me to Perry's site (v 4.2).

If I send it in for repair, they will return it w 4.6, which won't help.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Looks like Garmin just posted 4.80 which they say fixes the issue (and several others). Maybe there is hope for the 7x0 series after all!

Bryan