This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Routing offroad on Nuvi 500?

I havent used it in this mode yet, but when you do a hike and choose trackback, is the unit storing "Via" points at some unknown interval? Or does the unit not do this?

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    I haven't used the Nuvi 500, but trackback typically works by taking your recorded track (line which shows where you went), reversing, then simplifying it and turning it into a route.

When you record track on a "real" handheld there are various menu options to control the method of recording. You can either record every xx seconds, every xx feet, or a combination of the two. Since this is a Nuvi, my *guess* is that you don't have this much control, but the GPS probably determines how to record your track.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    I'm going on a hike later, I'll give it a test shot and see what it does. However its going to have to pick up a signal while in my daypack, because I wont be able to hold it while I am climbing or using poles.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    It looks like it retained the track exactly! Not sure how to find out how many "Via" points it recorded, but I am pretty happy with the data it recorded so far :)
  • luckypunk 0 Points
    how was battery life?
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    I wouldnt say it lasted quite as long as they state, definitely not 8 hours. I got about 4 hours before it went down to one bar on the battery....It says 20% capacity right now. I forgot to check what the capacity was before I headed out though. Only issue I had was that the touch screen was going nuts in my pack, so I removed it and put it in my pocket. I am thinking of buying a cheap scuba suit and making a cover for the GPS out of it. I want a skin tight fit with a flap over the screen held by velcro.
    how was battery life?
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Ok, I downloaded the custom route I saved, it was a little off because I did it round trip. It seems to save quite a few "Via" points in the route, not bad, and much better than I was expecting. I think the Nuvi decided to combine one part of my trip when i saved it though, the first and last half mile of my loop that overlapped each other. But basically it did a pretty good job tracing my direction, I should have saved my track one way, not round trip though. But its first outing was a good one, I got what I wanted out of it! :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks for the report. Why doesn't Garmin put a screen lock on the Nuvi 500? That really puzzles me. My cheapo Nuvi 205 has a sliding screen lock, and it's basically the same form factor as the 500.

Also, I assume the screen is not transreflective - is it? In other words, the backlight must be on to see anything on the screen. Real handhelds have transreflective screens, and that gives better battery life as you don't need to turn on the backlight under sunny conditions.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    I assume the screen lock issue is probably something to do with keeping water out, I am sure it easier to use the push style button for this. But they could have used some type of software based lock feature.
    Thanks for the report. Why doesn't Garmin put a screen lock on the Nuvi 500? That really puzzles me. My cheapo Nuvi 205 has a sliding screen lock, and it's basically the same form factor as the 500.

Also, I assume the screen is not transreflective - is it? In other words, the backlight must be on to see anything on the screen. Real handhelds have transreflective screens, and that gives better battery life as you don't need to turn on the backlight under sunny conditions.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The Oregon doesn't have any buttons, except a rubber-encased power button. Tap the power button quickly and you get the brightness adjustment plus a screen lock button. It will stay locked until you tap the power button again and push the unlock button.

Wouldn't be hard for them to do this on the Nuvi 500. If they wanted to...