This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

myGarmin: myDashboard...warning

myDashboard is now available when you login to your myGarmin account. Requires new Garmin Communicator v2.71 installed (there will be a link).

It apparently found a firmware update above v3.40 for my nuvi 765 which I'm downloading to SD Card (I have no idea if it's actually valid or not as WebUpdater said no update over 3.40 was available).

We shall see...

Progress bar froze at 24% and slowed the system to a crawl. It tried to download -something- but I have no idea what since the DL supposedly froze.

Trying it again under Internet Explorer, it appears that it gets itself stuck in an infinite loop downloading http://www.garmin.com//Voice,Polish_regionfileonly_200.rgn. And this is while it says it's downloading a -firmware- update.

Could just be more Garmin beta software

It also claims my nuvi 350 has a software update...

I'll pass on this beta for now.

Comments

• caryrae 92 Points
    I did the download this morning and didn't seem to be anything updated. All the version #'s stayed the same. Except the amount of memory went down after I ran the update, not what made it go down. Went from about 2200 mb to about 1900 mb.

The supposed firmware update did start of very slow then it speed up then slowed down again.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    It downloads -all- updates for the nuvi...voices included without telling you what it's downloading. I'll bet all of your voices were updated.

Be warned if you have modified voices
  • caryrae 92 Points
    yep all the voices I deleted came back.
  • So once again Garmin has dumbed things down and made it worse.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Yup...good ol' Garmin. :roll:
    I'd definitely stick with WebUpdater since it at least gives you some control over what is downloaded to the unit.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I'm wondering if this is just a simple interface change or related to something I heard earlier this year.
  • gatorguy - you can't leave us hanging like that! What did you hear earlier this year?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    It's simply something that was mentioned to me that hasn't been confirmed by anyone else (yet) so for now I'd rather not say. Just has to do with a possible rollout of some expanded services.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    After spending what seemed like 45 minutes to 1 hour updating my 765 through myDashboard (I make a full backup before doing this), I power cycle (at least 4 times) the unit, then reconnect my now "fully updated" 765 back into the PC & run WebUpdater where is finds an update for ALL the voices on the unit, both TTS *and* non-TTS. I decline.

I then use myDashboard to again check the unit for updates...yes indeed, there is an update. Of course it doesn't tell me what it is but I can only assume it will take another hour at least and will update the voices once again...I decline the offer.

This is just plain silly...
  • Seapup 80 Points
    I ran WebUpdater and received, "Your Garmin device already has the latest software version."

I went to myDashboard and saw, "A software update is available." I ran the myDashboard update... screen read, "Updating Firmware". When the update finished (40 minutes), I checked my 780 (Tools/Settings/System/About) and saw a new line under Unit ID that reads, "GDB SW Version: 3.30".

I checked myDashboard again and saw another, "A software update is available." I ran the myDashboard update... screen read, "Updating Firmware". When the update finished (34 minutes), I checked my 780 (Tools/Settings/System/About) and saw that the Audio Version was updated from 1.70 to 2.20.

I checked myDashboard again and it now reads, "Your software is currently up-to-date."

myDashboard is definitely pushing updates that WebUpdater isn't aware of.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I ran WebUpdater and received, "Your Garmin device already has the latest software version."

myDashboard is definitely pushing updates that WebUpdater isn't aware of.
    Upon running WebUpdater and getting the "Your Garmin device already has the latest software version.", did you let it proceed to check for "additional updates such as voice updates"?

This is what looks to have been updated on your device...

The "GDB SW Version: 3.30" the MSN Direct software that was released months ago on March 10 2009:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3717

The "Audio Version was updated from 1.70 to 2.20" was also released a couple of months ago.

Both of these updates are performed at WebUpdater's "check for additional updates, such as voice updates" segment.

If you had already updated them previously via WebUpdater and myDashboard is now detecting them even though they were already installed, that tells me there is a definite flaw in myDashboard. Either that or they were not actually updated via WebUpdater's "check for additional updates" for whatever reason and myDashboard -did- find them.
  • Seapup 80 Points

Upon running WebUpdater and getting the "Your Garmin device already has the latest software version.", did you let it proceed to check for "additional updates such as voice updates"?......
    Yes, I checked for additional updates via WebUpdater. The only items listed were TTS voice updates in languages I don't need. Of course, the Audio update via myDashboard grabbed all that anyway. I think the bug is in WebUpdater, not myDashboard. I've been running WebUpdater weekly... it should have updated my audio version and GDB, but it didn't. image
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited May 2009
    OK...more oddness

Running WebUpdater again since yesterday reveals that every single voice on my 765 needs updating (TTS & non-TTS) where as previously, only certain voices (often randoly selected) had "updates".

Running myDashboard, without even disconnecting my 765 from the PC states "Your software is currently up-to-date."

Now how's that for accuracy? :roll:
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Webupdater isnt much better, it keeps stating some of the TTS voices are newer, though the version numbers its updating are the same every time. And as far as I can tell Mydashboard doesnt like IE8, not that I like any better, Microsoft continues to shoot itself in the foot.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I always delete the voices I will never use, so I suppose everytime I delete them MyDashboard will always say an update is available. Right?
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    I used to use the Webupdater, which always prompted for voices to download, regardless of what was on the Nuvi 765T.

I now have every voice file etc installed on my unit (it is sort of irrelevant, as I still have 1.9 GB free on the device). Now, MyDashboard is happy and does not prompt me for any further updates.

So, that has become my preferred methof for updating: Install all files on the 765 and use MyDashboard. That is better than using the brain-dead Webupdater. I will get prompted only when any new file becomes available