This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Question About Nuvi 265WT Accuracy

This is my first after market GPS unit. I Just got a Nuvi 265WT a few days ago and have a question about its accuracy. Everything has been updated prior to this post.

When checking the "where am I" feature it places me approximately .25 miles away from the actual location. Is this normal? When I arrive to a new destination the address is not correct. For instance; actual location is 2222 Smith Rd. / Unit shows 2246 Smith Rd. Is this normal?

When typing in a destination it will get me pretty close but not spot on. Certainly nowhere near 3 meters. Normal performance for the Nuvi?

When using "go home feature" (when I saved the address it was manually typed in) it takes me to a few houses down the street. Normal?

Our old car (Honda) had a FTY installed nav system. When I was at 2222 Smith Rd. thats exactly what the unit displayed. Are my expectations for the Garmin too high?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is how a portable GPS unit performs, or if there's something wrong w/ my unit. Did I get a lemon?

Any comments, advice, or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ~

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    See our article on GPS Street Address Accuracy as that should answer all of your questions.
  • wscott52 0 Points
    If you want to know if it's the unit or the map, plot the lat/lon from the "Where Am I" feature on a topo map, or Google maps, or something like the USCGS National map (http://nationalmap.gov/). Odds are it's the map that's wrong not the GPS fix.

Edit:

Just now with Nuvi 255 claiming 60 ft accuracy I came up with a position 84 feet from where Google Earth said I was. There's probably a 3-5' margin of error with my placing of the cursor on Google Earth.
  • Timm129 0 Points
    I have the same "problem" as well as many other people I know who use the Garmin. I guess they figure if it gets you that close you should be able to figure it out from there. I did have a Mag. Roadmate 360. That machine was EXACTLY right on with every address. I dont know why but all Garmins seem to be off by several house numbers....
  • tdekany 81 Points
    My brand new 255 was right on the spot getting me home just now. It made me turn in MY driveway.
  • saea501 81 Points
    My 750 puts me pretty much right in front of the address. Go home takes me right into my driveway.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Yeah it works fairly well at seeing where you are, but they really do stink at finding addresses. They are seriously lacking in this department.
    I have the same "problem" as well as many other people I know who use the Garmin. I guess they figure if it gets you that close you should be able to figure it out from there. I did have a Mag. Roadmate 360. That machine was EXACTLY right on with every address. I dont know why but all Garmins seem to be off by several house numbers....
  • wscott52 0 Points
    Yeah it works fairly well at seeing where you are, but they really do stink at finding addresses. They are seriously lacking in this department.

I know it doesn't help you but the error is in the maps and Garmin buys them from Navteq. Some areas are better than others. In the area I use it mine has put me right on the address about 90% of the time. Since it's not the device but the maps on it there's hope yet that a future map update will fix addresses in your area. Read Tim's link for more detail.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    I guess I find it hard to understand that in todays age we cant get this right, memory for storage is cheap, and the demand is there. Yet no one can get these maps more accurate? Theres a huge opening here for the first map company thats willing to get it right. They have spent way too much time on fancy features and not on the core reason for a GPS, to find locations accurately.

I know it doesn't help you but the error is in the maps and Garmin buys them from Navteq. Some areas are better than others. In the area I use it mine has put me right on the address about 90% of the time. Since it's not the device but the maps on it there's hope yet that a future map update will fix addresses in your area. Read Tim's link for more detail.
  • wscott52 0 Points
    I guess I find it hard to understand that in todays age we cant get this right, memory for storage is cheap, and the demand is there. Yet no one can get these maps more accurate? ]
    The relevant question is how much would you be willing to pay for those accurate maps? Would you have paid $500-600 or more for your 265? I doubt it. The US is a huge country and surveying all it's roads is a very labor intensive process. If Navteq doubled the number of vans they have out in the field I'm sure the accuracy of the maps would improve but the price might double. Most people have a more positive experience with their GPSs than you. In almost six months of use my 255 has only missed one address badly and that was a POI. I didn't have time to check and see if the address of the store was wrong or the device really missed the address by a quarter of a mile. Every address I've entered manually has been dead on.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Guess it depends on where you live, small towns arent a priority obviously...
    I guess I find it hard to understand that in todays age we cant get this right, memory for storage is cheap, and the demand is there. Yet no one can get these maps more accurate? ]

The relevant question is how much would you be willing to pay for those accurate maps? Would you have paid $500-600 or more for your 265? I doubt it. The US is a huge country and surveying all it's roads is a very labor intensive process. If Navteq doubled the number of vans they have out in the field I'm sure the accuracy of the maps would improve but the price might double. Most people have a more positive experience with their GPSs than you. In almost six months of use my 255 has only missed one address badly and that was a POI. I didn't have time to check and see if the address of the store was wrong or the device really missed the address by a quarter of a mile. Every address I've entered manually has been dead on.
  • wscott52 0 Points
    Guess it depends on where you live, small towns arent a priority obviously...
    I don't know it's even the size of the town. The town I live in is 3,500 people. We are about 60 miles from Buffalo and 30 miles from Erie, PA. The nearest Walmart is 20 miles away. I would like to know also how they decide when an area is mapped or how often it's updated.
  • wb973 0 Points
    I have a 255w and have experienced similar problems. The other day we were going to Stasburg Rail Road (landmark) in PA. The GPS said "you are arriving at your destination, Stasburg Rail Road, on the left side". But it was an empty land on the left side of road. We had to get out and asked for direction, and was told the Rail Road was 0.25 miles away. Sure it was!

Also I checked "where am I" in my house and it gave me the address for a house that is two houses away from mine.