This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

"Speaks street names" is it important?

Gabe 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I'm looking at garmin's line and wondering if speaks street names feature is important? On a list of features to have is it one of the top ones to have?

Comments

• dequardo 0 Points
    You'll get varied responses. My advice would be to get say a 255 for a low street price. You can always turn off the TTS if you don't like it. Unlike turning it on if you'd get a 205 :-)

Good luck.

Mike
  • Tim 1480 Points
    We've talked about the pros and cons on our Text To Speech page. When working up from the base level GPS, TTS is typically the first feature people want to step up to.
  • Put me down as considering TTS a "must have". I've read stories where it really came in handy. Katrina for one. All the street signs were gone so TTS must have been a lifesaver back then.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Personally I don't even care if it talks, let alone says street names. :lol:
  • Personally I don't even care if it talks, let alone says street names. :lol:
    Do you also prefer reading paperbacks to listening to audio books when driving? :shock: :D
  • dequardo 0 Points
    If the street signs were gone why would TTS matter? :?
  • If the street signs were gone why would TTS matter? :?
    People with local, regional knowledge...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well the only accident I've had in the last 20 years was getting rear-ended while stuck in traffic at a stoplight. I don't have any problem looking at the GPS screen while driving. I can even do it at the same time as I chew gum.
  • I've been able to drive for decades without GPS, too. Sometimes things are just nice and really convenient to have. When I said TTS was a "must have", what I meant was any unit I buy, I want it to have it. I agree that it is NOT needed.
  • luv2review 0 Points
    It is a nice feature and can be quite useful during the day light.
    TTS tends to become "less" effective in the evening or rainning day.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    luv2review,

Long time no see... nice to see you back here again.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Some of us cant read road signs at night too well, and when in unfamiliar places we dont want to take our eyes off the road. So basically I find TTS a very nice feature! :)
  • luv2review 0 Points
    luv2review,

Long time no see... nice to see you back here again.
    Nice to be back ~ :)
  • Marc 301 Points
    Some of us cant read road signs at night too well, and when in unfamiliar places we dont want to take our eyes off the road. So basically I find TTS a very nice feature! :)
    If you can't read the road signs what useful information does TTS provide in unfamiliar territory?
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Calling out a road name and giving me distance to road info, so I have a better idea of what the street name might be on that blurry sign without taking my eyes off it or the road.

If you can't read the road signs what useful information does TTS provide in unfamiliar territory?
  • Marc 301 Points
    Any GPS will give you distance to the turn, whether it has TTS or not. I guess I would consider reading blurry signs as helping geriatrics like me!, so well thought.
  • ordertwo 0 Points
    i don't like the TTS voices on the garmin units it sounds like there talking into a tin can the NON TTS Voice is VERY Clear and Easy to hear
  • Shooter 0 Points
    i don't like the TTS voices on the garmin units it sounds like there talking into a tin can the NON TTS Voice is VERY Clear and Easy to hear
    Interesting to hear that from a Garmin user. I thought that was just a TomTom problem. :wink:
  • Marc 301 Points
    Nope, I've noticed the same thing on my wife's 265t.
  • markan 0 Points
    I’ve had my unit for about a week now and I think the TTS is a nice feature. In particular, if you don’t have a mount. Just leave it on the seat and let the voice guide you by calling out the street names. As far as being in unfamiliar territory, if you’re looking for a particular street and are having trouble picking out the street signs, then I can see TTS being useful and convenient.
  • Gabe 0 Points
    thanks for the info everyone. after thinking about it more I don't know if TTS would help me, i might rather save money. it seems like when a turn is coming up it would be better to glance at the gps and read the street name, instead of depending on the voice to pronounce the name.
  • charlie 39 191 Points
    I was driving in fairly heavy traffic the other evening, and it was nice to have the GPS tell me what street to turn on so that I could simply look at the overhead street name and not have to glance over at the GPS to find out what the street was for the turn or to see if the street that I was just about to get to was the street to turn on of if it was the next street.