This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom One LE (Limited Edition)

Blitz 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I have yet to purchase one of these devices, but am pretty well sold on getting a TT. I've concluded I do not want a Third Edition (no itinerary planning) and it seems if I buy a second edition with 6.75 I'm good to upgrade.

HOWEVER, talked with TT Customer Service today and was told that, just this morning, a TT One LE has been into'd. I somehow wound up looking at the Best Buy for Business web page, and followed up with a phone call, and indeed they have a TT One LE listed and it can be ordered, although none are yet in stock.

I can't figure out what the LE is about, other than the Itinereay feature will be available. Cost is $249.99 from BB Bus.

Anybody else know anything??

Comments

• Tim 1456 Points
    I'll have info later today.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Details are still a little vague about this product. What is clear is that it will only be available through Best Buy, and for only a short period of time. The people I spoke with didn't have firm details about it. However it was mentioned that it would be similar to the ONE 2nd Edition, but without Bluetooth and an SD card. So it appears to be like the hardware of the ONE 3rd Edition, but with full NavCore 7 rather than just NavCore 7 Lite. Details are still a little sketchy at this point though.
  • Blitz 0 Points
    OK, so does one need and what is full NavCore 7 vs. just NavCore 7, and is a SD card important?

Would I be just as well off buying the the TT One second edition w/ 675 and getting the updates on line?? I seem to be lost on the Full NavCore question

Appreciate the help...I'm sure the answers are contained in the various threads but a quick overview would be very helpful.

(Don't need MP3 and my phone is a Palm 680, don't plan on going to Europe any time soon)
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Application version 7, aka "NavCore 7" includes their most advanced features. The "Lite" version doesn't offer setting rout starts (aka advanced planning) and Itinerary Planning (aka multi destination routing).
  • Blitz 0 Points
    Thanks Tim.....still trying to figure the difference between the LE and a Second edition w/675 and the downloads....
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Me too. There might not be any difference.
  • I was at Best Buy today and they had it in stock under the cabinet. I asked for a price and specs and they couldn't find any info. Finally, they said it wasn't due to be released until Nov. 4th.
    I opted for the XL-s for the text to speech feature. I had bought the Garmin Nuvi 750 yesterday and couldn't get a signal. Actually, the 750 found my current location in China. I live in Massachusetts!
    I borrowed a friend's TT 3rd edition and got great signals. The XL-s gets a great signal, too. Upon research, there had been some complaints about the Garmin geting satellite signal.
    Anyway, I love TomTom. Phone customer support is great, too.
  • I had bought the Garmin Nuvi 750 yesterday and couldn't get a signal. Actually, the 750 found my current location in China. I live in Massachusetts!
    Almost surely this is a defective unit and not a representative comparison to any other unit. According to Tim's reviews, the Garmin 700 series with their multiple waypoints and other features are very comparable to the high end TomTom units BUT their price seems to be quite a bit higher.

If the TomTom One units will do the job for you, obviously there will be a big savings with the TomTom One units because they really aren't in the same league. The Garmin 700 series would be at the same level as the TT 720 & TT 920 models.
  • You are right, JeepLover. The XL-s was $200.00 less than the Garmin 750.
    and doesn' have the extras the 750 has. TT meets my needs.
    I was at the Garmin web site and it states the 750 is built with a silver frame. The one I purchased wasn't silver; it was black and made of a shiny thin plastic.
    For some reason, I just didn' feel this was a genuine 750 Garmin, unless it was a limited edition or something. the frame just didn't seem as sturdy as the Garmin models that Best Buy had on display. Unfortunately, they did not have the 750 on display and was the only one under the cabinet in a box.
  • I am new to these forums - still figuring out all the different models etc.

Did some research on here yesterday and decided on the ONE 3rd edition for my girlfriends birthday present. Got to Bestbuy and noticed the LE was the same price. I couldn't see any differences except the LE had bluetooth so I decided on that. Got it home updated the software and was able to sync my Motorola Q phone with it for traffic and weather. Nice features.
  • Scott,

I think you ended up making a wise move. The LE is a unusual edition that I understand is only going to be carried at Best Buy. The 3rd Edition has taken a lot of flack for omitting important features such as the ability to program multiple waypoints or routs which the LE offers. So if it was the same price, it should be the better buy.

You can compare the various TomTom One GPS devices at this link but the LE won't be found there because it is so new http://www.gpsreview.net/compare-gps/?gps=962-1190-1095-1201

You might want to check out the TomTom One Forum for additional details about the LE.

Do you know which version of TomTom Home CAME with the LE? Some people have updated to the Home 2.0 or 2.1 and it has caused them problems. In some cases users have been advised to revert back to version 1.6 but if yours works fine, great. (I think the problems are large enough that you would know if it wasn't working right. There is lots of Home discussion in the forums as well.)

There have also been a lot of issues with Bluetooth and various levels of compatibility with Bluetooth phones. Often it is possible to get the Bluetooth hands free calling to work but not the phonebook, especially if your phone is from Verizon. There are lots of postings about that issue.

Generally there is a little steeper learning curve for the TomTom units but they are more customizable and offer more features than a comparable Garmin unit.
  • Thanks for the info - so far I love the unit. Taking a road trip this week and will know of any problems after that. I got the blue tooth sync to work with my Moto Q and was able to get weather and traffic info. The LE doesn't have and calling or hands free functions. I will check on the software version and report back - it did update when I installed the software on my PC.
  • I have been looking into this model and saw this forum. For anyone who is interested the TT1 LE will be at best buy for 119 on black friday.
  • I have been looking into this model and saw this forum. For anyone who is interested the TT1 LE will be at best buy for 119 on black friday.
    you know at $119 this is definitely a no-brainer. If you're looking at just a really good navigation device and it doesn't matter that it doesn't have handsfree bluetooth and it doesn't have picture or even an mp3 in it...then do it. I purchased the TT1 v2. 6.75maps software for 199 and i thought i got a great deal... :)
  • Wow great deal - I just lost $149...... (and yes the packaging is gone or I would return it).

Wonder if they will price match my purchase on 11/4.
  • Wow great deal - I just lost $149...... (and yes the packaging is gone or I would return it).

According to every Best Buy person I talked to, they WILL price match as long as your original purchase was within 30 days of Black Friday AND that you come in to Customer Service DURING THR HOURS THAT THE ITEM IS ON SALE with your receipt. This may only be 3 or 4 hours on that Friday.
  • On the BB Black Friday ad it says "The Best Buy price match policy does not apply to items in this ad and is not valid on prior purchases." I think they had this policy last year too. Could you check with your sources again?
  • I was talking to a Bestbuy rep yesterday and he said that in their staff meeting, the question about price-matching came up and they were instructed NOT to pricematch earlybird items.
  • I will definitely give it a try. If they won't take it I will buy another and use the packaging to return the one purchased on 11/4.

I did notice on the BB receipt you can return items purchased from 11/1-12/26 until the end of January.

It would seem to me quite easy. Buy the unit (if it is identical to what your purchased) at the Black Friday price and return this unit with your previous purchase receipt prior to 30 days from Nov 4th. You probably could simply use the packaging from the new purchase to return your old unit if you feel more comfortable doing it that way..

I would have no compunction whatsoever about doing this. When I purchased my TT1 unit from Future Shop in Canada (a direct subsidiary of BB) they later had a special 1 day anniversary sale and reduced the price by a further $30. - $60. depending on when one purchased it. They tried to tell me special deals like that were not covered by their price guarantee. I simply asked them to show me where this exclusion was posted on their large 30 day return policy sign or on their website. They couldn't and after asking for a supervisor I received the promo price match.
  • Well I just bought my TomTom One LE from Best Buy last night before I had a chance to read the most recent posts above. So if they won't price match, I'll just get another one on Black Friday and return the original for a full refund. If they think about it, they'd come out ahead just to do the price match.

First reactions. That is the darndest packaging I have ever seen. It took me a half hour with a good pair of scisors to get it out of the plastic package and I still managed to scrape my arm. No wonder they don't have to keep them behind glass because there is no way someone is going to be able to remove the security tag and walk out with a unit.

The second thing I noticed is there is no CD with the software. The directions seem to imply there is but the list of items included does not list a CD. I downloaded Home and the updates from the TomTom web site.

There is a learning curve to getting it to perform but I noticed 2 roads to my favorite Pizza place that my built in car unit doesn't show and one of them is an unnamed road. I did have to move the location of the Pizza joint but I reported that via Mapshare.

It is smaller than I thought but that makes it pocketable and I intend on getting one of those vent clips to mount it to the vent rather than the window so I should be able to see it well enough.

It definitely comes with the full Navcore 7 because it is possible to program a route with multiple waypoints.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Well I just bought my TomTom One LE from Best Buy last night
    You finally bought a GPS! :P Just had to tease ya!
  • Jeeplover - I thought the same thing about the CD - but when you plug the unit into your computer it will ask you if you want to install the software. The software is on the unit. Worked great.
  • As you can see, it wasn't an easy decision but once I found out I could get a TomTim One LE for $119.99 (eventually) it made the decision for me. I figure I'll use it for a couple of years and then when our trip to Europe becomes a reality, I can buy a TT 920 or similar top-of-the-line unit for probably around $300 by that time with the latest maps of Europe. Then I can give the TomTom LE to one of my sons and for less money than I could buy a TT920 for now, I'll have purchased 2 GPS units and have the latest maps.
  • Jeeplover - I thought the same thing about the CD - but when you plug the unit into your computer it will ask you if you want to install the software. The software is on the unit. Worked great.
    I thought that was what the directions said but for some reason it didn't work for me that way so I just downloaded. Funny that even though I had just downloaded the 2.0 version it then went on to prompt me for an update. Not sure why they don't have the latest version on the web site to begin with.
  • Hello all,

I found this particular thread (its all over the net...pretty famous if one is searching for info concerning the "LE") while trying to find specs on the "LE". Didn't find it on the TT site, so a quick google search led me here.

Anyhow, straight to business. Basically, for BF, two models are on sale at either bestbuy, radioshack, or staples. the "LE" at bestbuy or "3rd edition" in the other two locations.

Questions:
    1 - what are the technical differences between the two? I understand they are labeled differently; the LE being a "limited edition". But a name does not signify differences.
    2 - what i like about the 3rd is the mapshare feature which is a highly advertised selling point. So, will the LE be capable of this as well?
    3 - Do both models have bluetooth?
    4 - the 3rd edition has the option for RDS-TMC, does the LE offer the same expandability
    5 - does either one have the capability to have its storage expanded?
    6 - which would you guys prefer?
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Let's see if I get this all right. :) Someone correct me if you spot something off!

1) The LE is most similar to the 2nd Edition ONE, but with the addition of the version 7 application, MapShare, etc. The 3rd Edition also comes with version 7, MapShare, and connector for the optional traffic but doesn't contain Itinerary Planning nor being able to add custom POI categories in the fly.

2) Yes.

3) The LE does, but not for hands free calling. PLUS services only. The 3rd Edition does not.

4) I don't remember... Anyone else?

5) The LE has an SD card slot, I don't believe the 3rd Edition does.
  • I just bought my LE yesterday from Best Buy and I don't see any way to connect RDS-TMC. So unless you are lucky enough to have a compatable Bluetooth cell phone with GPRS, you won't be able to get traffic updates.

The LE seems to be a "no brainer" better than the 3rd eddition. It also doesn't have text to speech to give street names but it does give verbal distance directions to the next turn. To get Text to speech you'd have to get the "XL-S" model but check out all the specs here http://www.gpsreview.net/compare-gps/?gps=1153-962-1190-1095-1201 The XL models are bigger. The 720 offers more features but costs a lot more too.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be satisfied with my LE.
  • My Motorola Q from Verizon connected no problem - although I did need to search for the setting on another forum.
  • Hi, Just one question for those who already bought the TomTom One LE does it come with voice direction(instruction)? Thank in advance!
  • Good luck with the price matching. There is also a 15%? restocking fee on GPS units. Atleast you'll still be saving money.

Noticed the Garmin nuvi 200 is 169.99. Is the TomTom LE so much better that it's worth waiting in line to get a ticket at 3AM? I assume if you get a ticket you could go home and come back at 5AM or later though.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Hi, Just one question for those who already bought the TomTom One LE does it come with voice direction(instruction)? Thank in advance!
    Yes, it has voice prompting ("turn right in 500 feet") it does not have text to speech ("turn right on Maple Avenue").
  • Thanks!
  • Good luck with the price matching. There is also a 15%? restocking fee on GPS units. Atleast you'll still be saving money.

Noticed the Garmin nuvi 200 is 169.99. Is the TomTom LE so much better that it's worth waiting in line to get a ticket at 3AM? I assume if you get a ticket you could go home and come back at 5AM or later though.
    I didn't know they had a restocking fee. Does it apply if the unit is unopened in the box?

What's this about a ticket at 3:00a.m.? Are they going to have Best Buy employees there that early in the morning? What happens if they are all gone by the time you get there? Do they only allow a certain number in the store at a time? Black Friday is getting so you really have to plan your strategy but obviously I won't have the new one to return unless I can get one on BF.
  • Hey, Do you guys know if you can wire this into your car stereo to put the sound out through your speakers?
  • Hey, Do you guys know if you can wire this into your car stereo to put the sound out through your speakers?
    There is no sound out feature on the LE. You would have to open up the unit and connect wires which would clearly void the warranty.

There is no sound out feature on the LE. You would have to open up the unit and connect wires which would clearly void the warranty.
    Thanks, That is what I wanted to know.
  • trish 81 Points
    Good luck with the price matching. There is also a 15%? restocking fee on GPS units. Atleast you'll still be saving money.

I'm not too familiar with Black Friday sales. What is this ticket you speak of?
  • I'm not too familiar with Black Friday sales. What is this ticket you speak of?
    Trish, BF is the day after T-Giving in USA when there are many store sales.

See:
    1) http://www.blackfriday.info/
    2) http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=162731&t=651221
    (on link 2, download/look at "BF Buying Guide 2007").

I think (but am not sure) that the "ticket" is presumably a paper ticket/voucher you would receive from the Store of your choice for your item of interest, should it not be in stock on BF when you are there to claim it. OR...the "ticket" is what you pick up on the shelf to represent the product, and then you go to Cust Service, or wherever, to pick up the product.
  • For details on the Best Buy Black Friday ad covering the TomTom One LE, please consult my latest posting to the Black Friday thread under the GPS Discussion forum.
  • went to the source-called tomtom customer service-she said tomtom one and tomtom one le are the same product-so see you at best buy next friday at 4:00 am.
  • went to the source-called tomtom customer service-she said tomtom one and tomtom one le are the same product-so see you at best buy next friday at 4:00 am.
    If you want to GET one, they will start handing out TICKETS that entitle those in line at 3:00a.m. to get any of their Doorbuster items. (They only guarantee 20 per store.) So you best be in line before 3:00a.m. I figure after you get your ticket, you can go out for breakfast because you are assured of getting one when they open the doors at 5:00a.m.

You may want to read my quote from the Best Buy ad under the GPS Duiscussions forum in the Black Friday thread.

Good luck!
  • trish 81 Points
    I was checking out the LE on the Best Buy website and the specs say that there is no mapping software or voice prompts. What does that mean for a potential user?
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Honestly I have no idea what they are trying to say. The LE does have mapping software (depending on how you define it) and it certainly has voice prompts.

• If you want to GET one, they will start handing out TICKETS that entitle those in line at 3:00a.m. to get any of their Doorbuster items. (They only guarantee 20 per store.) So you best be in line before 3:00a.m. I figure after you get your ticket, you can go out for breakfast because you are assured of getting one when they open the doors at 5:00a.m.

You may want to read my quote from the Best Buy ad under the GPS Duiscussions forum in the Black Friday thread.

Good luck!
    Is the LE even a doorbuster item?
  • Is the LE even a doorbuster item?
    Definitely! I've have a graphic of the ad (which I downloaded from somewhere) and it is in the lower right hand corner of the first page which are their "Doorbuster" ads.
  • This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if the tomtom LE has the feature that if you miss your turn it will re-route you to the next turn. Rather than say, "turn around when safe".

Also, I life in a rual area and wondered if the Black Friday deal would be on the internet. Does anyone know? I called best buy twice and one woman said they would and another said she wasn't sure.

One more thing, i noticed walmart will be having on sale the Garmin C330. Does anyone know much about this device(i realize i am in the tomtom thread).
  • Tim 1456 Points
    The TomTom will reroute you. In some situations a U-turn might be the only practical option, but that is fairly rare.

The weaknesses of the c330 are the chipset (older design that will take longer to get a signal and won't hold it as well) and the physical size of the device.
  • ok, thanks. can you create a route so to speak with the LE? Say, for sight seeing or something like that? Go to destination 1, then 2, then 3, etc. I suppose it wouldn't really matter because you could just punch in the next desired destination, though. Just curious.

Also, any main flaws of the LE? Things that it should have that it doesn't? Not nessisarily options, just crappy designing persay.
  • Also, I life in a rual area and wondered if the Black Friday deal would be on the internet. Does anyone know? I called best buy twice and one woman said they would and another said she wasn't sure.
    I recently ran across this on the Black Friday info site.

"Q: Will the Black Friday deals be available online?
    A: YES! On Thanksgiving and early in the morning on Black Friday, many Black Friday items will be available to purchase online. Also, some stores are putting their Black Friday items on the web even earlier this year! We will be updating this page with a list of the items once they become available to purchase online."

I suppose i awnsered my own question. Just wanted to make sure others know that the deals should be on the net as well!