This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Rookie question on SD disc

When using Garmin's POILoader do I store my POI's in the SD disc or in the GPS's regular memory?

I have prepared a POI file on my laptop that's comprised of selected POIFactory downloads, but am not certain where they should be stored (SD or GPS itself) and what the pro's and con's are relating to my rookie question.

Thank you in advance, for any replies.

Comments

• nick98338 0 Points
    There's another thread about "Storing POIs on Data Card" that has info on this subject. But, you can put your custom POIs on either the main unit storage, or on a SD card. On the Nuvi 2x5 series, after you put your custom POIs on the SD card, the Nuvi will ask you if you want to put your custom POIs into the main storage, so they will be available when the SD card is removed. And, it will ask you this same thing every time you start the Nuvi.
  • alisk 0 Points
    Thank you. I was aware of the thread you mentioned, but a question remains: Why use the SD in the first place, if the GPS will prompt me every time I turn on the GPS?
  • nick98338 0 Points
    Well, if you need custom POIs, and you have no space available in the Nuvi's internal storage...
  • alisk 0 Points
    I get this point too. Perhaps I'm not stating the question properly.

If one stores Custom POIs on the SD, does the GPS know this reality? Stated differently, how does the menu show these customer files?
  • nick98338 0 Points
    Does the GPS know that the custom POIs are on the SD card? Yes.
    How does the menu show these files? Where to, Extras, Custom POIs
    All custom POIs are displayed together, in the same place, no matter if they are stored in the main unit storage, or on the SD card. You can put custom POIs in either storage area. Doesn't matter. But, if you do put some on the SD card, you get the nag screen about moving the extras.
  • Roll 0 Points
    Does the GPS know that the custom POIs are on the SD card? Yes.
    How does the menu show these files? Where to, Extras, Custom POIs
    All custom POIs are displayed together, in the same place, no matter if they are stored in the main unit storage, or on the SD card. You can put custom POIs in either storage area. Doesn't matter. But, if you do put some on the SD card, you get the nag screen about moving the extras.
    Just jumping in to say thanks Nick, I wondered about this too.

Roll