This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator NT 2010 Map update now available!

Comments

• mgraben 0 Points
    I checked myGarmin.com this morning and there was a lifetime update available notice in myMaps. So I clicked on it and I'm now downloading garmin_rmu_cnnant2010_20.exe.

Looks like Garmin is still on schedule!
  • jordanal 96 Points
    edited July 2009
    Please let us know if there are any installation hicups soonest. Hopefully this release won't be fubar'd like 2010.10 was for the first couple of days. I'm eager to hear of your experience.

Thanks

EDIT: Disregard, posted the request in the dedicated 2010.20 thread below...
  • Leonardo 0 Points
    Bought my 2010.1 on the 15th of this month and I'm on the phone with them (Garmin) and so far they are telling me I don't have a right for an update. There should be a window for someone that bought an update to be able to upgrade for free.

EDIT: They are getting back to me because they don't know if they will be able to but off the bat the answer was NO.

:x
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I'm not surprised. You're entitled to one free update within 60 days when you buy a new garmin, not an annual map purchase. It's not the same. That's why nuMaps lifetime is a benefit, and not that much more expensive if you're gonna keep your Garmin more than a year or two.

Regards,
    Al
  • Leonardo 0 Points
    I understand if you tell me a month or more but 15 days?!?!

Come on!!
  • jordanal 96 Points

Come on!!
    Yes, but let's be honest, you have over 46 posts and have been here since last year. You mean you didn't know the second quarter (.20) map update was expected this summer?
  • mgraben 0 Points
    No problems other than the download time and the map extraction & installation time. Everything went smoothly albeit slowly. I did a hard reset just to be on the safe side. I'll post any problems I find.

Only gripe I've got is with Navteq. They promised to add my corrected home location two map updates ago and still haven't done so. :(
  • Leonardo 0 Points

Come on!!

Yes, but let's be honest, you have over 46 posts and have been here since last year. You mean you didn't know the second quarter (.20) map update was expected this summer?
    Yeah, and if you search in said posts, you will see I asked and NO ONE answered my posts in this regard. I had no way of knowing, other than guessing, that they wouldn't have a window of opportunity for upgrades.

And I didn't get the lifetime maps because I didn't know where or how my unit would be in one more year, if not, trust me I would have.
  • Taconuvi 91 Points
    No problems other than the download time and the map extraction & installation time. Everything went smoothly albeit slowly. I did a hard reset just to be on the safe side. I'll post any problems I find.
    Same here, download and installation went fine.
    It really did not take that long:
    - download: 22 min
    - extraction: 4.5 min
    - installation: 16 min
    So it was all done in about 45 minutes with no problems whatsoever, and my 855 seems to even still work. :D
  • caryrae 92 Points
    And I didn't get the lifetime maps because I didn't know where or how my unit would be in one more year, if not, trust me I would have.
    That's too bad because depending on if you have to pay to get the new update if you do get it, the lifetime updates would have been cheaper then buying 2 single updates.

So far I am glad I got the lifetime. I paid $120 for it and have gotten 3 updates ($69 each) so far which if I paid for each would have totaled $210.
  • I wonder how long it will be before the europe 2010.2 map set will take.......
  • alokeprasad 102 Points

So far I am glad I got the lifetime. I paid $120 for it and have gotten 3 updates ($69 each) so far which if I paid for each would have totaled $210.

In fact, you can get Numaps Lifetime for $94 from Amazon, no tax, no shipping.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    Ummm...Why do I have to pay $69 for an updated MAP for my NUVI 500 when they havent had an update available for it for over a year?!?!?!? 60 days is fine an good, but everyone else got the map update for free, I have to pay $69 because they put the NUVI 500 on the back burner? :evil:

• Same here, download and installation went fine.
    So it was all done in about 45 minutes with no problems whatsoever, and my 855 seems to even still work. :D
    Wow your connection must be blazing, I'm 25% complete with a 383 KB/sec download rate :(
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    If you have Verizon FIOS available in your area, it's well worth a look if you download/upload large files with any regularity. My download for the map was 23 minutes, and that was with three other website windows open and active and using a wireless connection on a laptop. Can't say enough good things about FIOS. I opted for the 20 Mbps connection.

EDIT: Ran some speed tests just for curiosity, This is the results from the most inclusive one:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Download Connection is:: 8569 Kbps about 8.6 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 1046 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
    Test Time:: 2009/08/02 - 10:56am
    Bottom Line:: 149X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.98 sec
    Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 11.747 seconds to complete
    Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 31.77 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)
    D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-OJLS35DPV
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.39 Safari/530.5 [!]

Yes, I'm happy with my connection.
    :D
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Actually, I had a spyware scan in progress and didn't notice. With that turned off the results are:

Download Connection is:: 10235 Kbps about 10.2 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 1249 kB/s
    Test Time:: 2009/08/02 - 11:16am
    Bottom Line:: 178X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.82 sec
    Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 9.835 seconds to complete
    Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 57.39 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)
    D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-098WEIVS2
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.39 Safari/530.5 [!]

Just a tad better :lol:
  • Well well well, now that we are bragging :)

This is copper coax Roadrunner (set to 10 Mbps but outperforming for the last few months when they seem to have upped the bandwidth):

Download Connection is:: 13335 Kbps about 13.3 Mbps (tested with 12280 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 1628 kB/s
    Test Time:: 2009/08/02 - 12:37pm
    Bottom Line:: 233X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.63 sec
    Tested from a 12280 kB file and took 7.544 seconds to complete
    Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 139.58 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)
    D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-P5XZ4JLOR
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) Creative ZENcast v2.01.01 [!]
  • Sounds like you both work for them :)

Or at least should ask for a referral fee :lol:

I too sing the praises of FIOS....

you get what you pay for :)
  • My.Garmin informed me that City Navigator® North America NT 2010.20 is available for my Nuvi 500 (nuMaps onetime with product key). I downloaded it onto my Mac with the download manager and opened the .dmg file. From there I fired up 'Install CN North America NT 2010.20 Map Update.app'. The installer gets as far as a window telling me the following:

"The maps on your GPS device being updated contain topographical data. An additional download is required to provide an update for your device. This download which includes the topographical data is approximately 880 MB.

If you do not have a high speed internet connection (e.g. Cable or DSL) then you may want to try this update again somewhere with a faster connection. Even with a high speed internat connection this download will take a while to complete. Press continue to begin the download."

I have a very fast Cable I'net connection so I clicked on Continue. Nothing happens, the Garmin Map Update program appears to be hung. I can only quit it and try again, each time with the same result.

Anyone got any clues for me? Or is this yet another example of crappy Garmin software?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    OK Aloklaspread:

Download Connection is:: 13906 Kbps about 13.9 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 1698 kB/s
    Test Time:: 2009/08/03 - 5:35pm
    Bottom Line:: 242X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.6 sec
    Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 7.239 seconds to complete
    Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 113.74 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)
    D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-DVFHEWQ9J

:wink:

Roadtrip, I wan't even aware they had released the map update for the 500 (finally). I know the 500 was using a merged topo/road map but honestly have no idea how they were planning to do the update. Odd that the two pieces are separate downloads, apparently to be merged in the process of sending it to your 500. Since you're the first to mention it, you may have to put in a call to them. If you do, be sure to post back.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    RoadTrip, it suddenly occurred to me that you map update may have been "extracting" or unpacking since it arrives as a compressed file, and only appeared not to be continuing. That process sometimes takes up to 15 minutes or so (mine took at least that or so it seemed) and there is no pop-up status screen or any other indication that the update process is still going on until the extraction is complete (unless you're doing a manual update). Kinda dumb for Garmin not to make it more clear that everything is happening as it should. Guaranteed that a lot of owners simply restart the whole thing, thinking the program has locked up.
  • Gator,

I launched System Activity during the update attempt. This lets you monitor the activity on your system. There is virtually no disk or CPU activity nor is there any network traffic. The Garmin Map Update program just sits there and does nothing. It does respond to the quit command though.

I have emailed a report to Garmin Support and expect to hear back from them tomorrow.

- rt
  • BigBlue 0 Points
    RoadTrip, it suddenly occurred to me that you map update may have been "extracting" or unpacking since it arrives as a compressed file, and only appeared not to be continuing. That process sometimes takes up to 15 minutes or so (mine took at least that or so it seemed) and there is no pop-up status screen or any other indication that the update process is still going on until the extraction is complete (unless you're doing a manual update). Kinda dumb for Garmin not to make it more clear that everything is happening as it should. Guaranteed that a lot of owners simply restart the whole thing, thinking the program has locked up.
    Exactly. I have a very fast PC and I was baffled by what appeared to be nothing happening after I 'launched' the 2GB download. I assumed it would have put up a status message right away. It took me a little while to figure out that the damn thing was just churning away in the background (the process in the Task List isn't named anything like the EXE file, to complicate matters) and I should just leave it alone for a while. It took probably 10 minutes or longer before anything finally popped up. The first thing to appear was the Vista 'do you want to allow this?' confirmation.

My advice... just launch the map download file and walk away for 20 minutes.

Rob
  • BigBlue 0 Points
    Gator,

I launched System Activity during the update attempt. This lets you monitor the activity on your system. There is virtually no disk or CPU activity nor is there any network traffic. The Garmin Map Update program just sits there and does nothing. It does respond to the quit command though.

I have emailed a report to Garmin Support and expect to hear back from them tomorrow.

- rt
    That's how mine looked too. There was very little CPU usage and just moderate disk usage, but it was apparently churning away. Try it again and just let it run for a while.

Rob
  • I use WinRAR to extract files from my 765T map updates into a directory of my choice. That let's you see the extraction process and also avoids needing tons of free space on the C drive.
  • valen 0 Points
    I will also be trying my first update this evening. It's a good thing I read about it here so that I wait long enough before thinking it hung.

What can I expect in the map updates ? Do they update the POI as well or just the actual maps ?

I used my 255W for the first time on a long road trip last week and noticed that the POI are really outdated in my map 2010.10 which is surprising given that its recent. For example using the "where am I" feature to look for fuel made me drive half way across some town to an old gas station. After the fillup, on my way back through the town, I notice several other gas stations much closer to the highway but they were not in the POI.
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    Well well well, now that we are bragging :)
    Can I download the package from work and then take it home on DVD or USB drive and install it without an internet connection, assuming I have my GPS at work when I download?

I have a slow connection at home, but work is much faster...

• What can I expect in the map updates ? Do they update the POI as well or just the actual maps ?
    Yes, POI are part of the map data. You can add many other POI's (including maybe more updated ones) from

http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles/popular
  • Well well well, now that we are bragging :)

Can I download the package from work and then take it home on DVD or USB drive and install it without an internet connection, assuming I have my GPS at work when I download?
    Yes. The installation starts when you execute the downloaded file. Doesn't matter where you download it.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Doh! You win :lol:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    My 1.5 Mb/s is blazing compared to my 56k modem. :shock:
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    Yeah, my home connection is about 100 times slower than work.
  • Seajays 0 Points
    My 1.5 Mb/s is blazing compared to my 56k modem. :shock:
    Mmmmm.... Modems.... I remember when the dizzy heights of 56kbps on a modem were considered pure fantasy - with much discussion about the technical limitations as to why such a figure would never be possible... in my first home internet connections my 14.4kbps modem was the bee's knees with a top speed on a good day with the wind behind you of 1.75KB/s download speed...

Nice. 8)
  • alanb 539 Points
    I am showing my age here, but my first computer connection was on a teletype with a 110 BAUD acoustic coupler. That is about 10 characters per second. If I did my calculations right, it would have taken me about 3 years and 10 months to download the 2010.20 maps with that connection. :shock:
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I remember thinking to myself while shopoing for a 300 baud modem for my Commodore 128, 'man if I could only somehow afford that spanking new 1200 baud modem'. :wink:
  • YOU had a 128 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, smoked my 64 !!!! :lol:

my 1st Office pc was a Radio Shack Trash 80 !!!!

We wrote HUGE excel apps on it :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Okay, while I'd love to jump in and tell you all about my first modem and dial-up experiences, this is a very busy thread with several dozen subscribers, many of which would probably like to hear about the map update and not old modems. :)
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    What are the statistical odds that Garmin will release 2010.20B (or any bug fix to 2010.20) by Rosh Hashanah? (that is September 18th)

Are there any reported bugs to 2010.20 yet?
  • Garman 0 Points
    Close to 0 IMO. Since the last update was the end of July, I'd expect some time in October to be the next one at the soonest
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    What are the statistical odds that Garmin will release 2010.20B (or any bug fix to 2010.20) by Rosh Hashanah? (that is September 18th)

Are there any reported bugs to 2010.20 yet?
    Haven't seen any mention of "bugs". So far so good.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm curious to hear from users if it makes any difference regarding the "loves back roads" issue.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Good point. I don't know if it's ever been determined if the problem is coming from the maps or the xx5's misreading the data. I'd think it would have to be a device issue since those of us with 7x0's haven't seen the same behavior afaik. I need to get my 255 back and check a couple of those routes already mentioned as problematic. It's still got last years maps on it. I can try it with the older firmware/maps, then update the application (not the map) and try again. I think the last time the app was updated was December last year.
  • I'm curious to hear from users if it makes any difference regarding the "loves back roads" issue.
    My 255w is still giving routes that seem to bias away from interstates, or at least use less interstate than my other satnav and online routing software. Garmin told me a 255 at their end wasn't behaving the same as mine, but hard resets and so on at my end, and the new maps and firmware haven't fixed it.

Though 5.3 does seem to have resolved the issue with it losing satellites every few days, which was a bigger pain than the suspect routing.
  • My extractor locks up for hours on end. The download for garmin_rmu_cnnant2010_20 took about 1.5 hours on a cable connection but then when I opened the file it just sat there and still it does. I am going to leave it going all night but I doubt it will do anything. Any suggestions?

To answer your question: My HP s5120y is running Vista with an Athlon 7750 2.7Ghz and 4gb RAM.

Same here, download and installation went fine.
  • BigBlue 0 Points
    Depending on the amount of memory on your PC it could take a really long time. If the PC doesn't have enough available RAM to unpack the installer in memory it may be swapping to disk and that could cause big slowdowns. Once it extracts the rest of the install should be quick though, so I'd give your all-night idea a shot.

Rob
  • Well I left it "running" all night and forgot about it most of the next day. Stayed at 0%. I have 4gb of RAM. I realize it is a 2gb file and it will take some time, but come on...

Thanks for your brain power though.
    Depending on the amount of memory on your PC it could take a really long time. If the PC doesn't have enough available RAM to unpack the installer in memory it may be swapping to disk and that could cause big slowdowns. Once it extracts the rest of the install should be quick though, so I'd give your all-night idea a shot.

Rob
  • BigBlue 0 Points
    If you got to the point where it was showing a progress bar then you should have been through the lengthy part (in my experience). Your 4GB should certainly be enough to deal with it. Not sure what is going on here.

Rob
  • Garmin informed me that it seems there is a technical problem and I need to contact them. I saw the email after they closed.

I will post my conclusion once resolved.
  • Seajays 0 Points
    Still waiting for the 2010 European mapping update though (unless I've missed something)... :(

Hoping I actually do get 4 updates for my lifetime subscription this year! :?
  • I extracted the map file just fine on my laptop that is running XP. Apparently my home computer with Vista didn't feel like cooperating. Regardless...I am up and running with my new map.