This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

garmin 285w how to adjust latitude and longtitude

just bought garmin285w a few hours ago and i tried on when i go home from the store. So far i like everything except when i got home it showing i'm offset 4 houses from my home address. I'm trying to fix with changing the coordinates with 'where am i" but still showing the arrival flags on my neighbor house even do i'm already park on my garage. is anyone knows how to fix this or anyone who has the same issue with this model and give me idea how to figure it out...thank. my last option is im returning it to tha store.

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with your nuvi. Take a look at this thread for a very good explanation on how addressing in any pnd works:

GPS Street Address Accuracy
  • SkipD 91 Points
    You will also find significant errors in where points of interest (a hotel, for example) are "located" on the map. There's a nearby hotel that is shown a mile north of its actual location. That is a problem with the map data, though, and not the GPS location accuracy - just like the article referenced above indicates.
  • If you don't like where "Home" is located, you can change it. First delete your "Home" location from your Favorites. Then put your Nuvi in normal navigation mode, and make sure you have good satellite reception. Now, go to map view and press the graphic for your vehicle. The screen will change to show you the coordinates of where you are (in your home presumably) Then press save and name the location as "Home". From then on, Home will be those coordinates and not a map address that is a bit off.
  • If you don't like where "Home" is located, you can change it. First delete your "Home" location from your Favorites. Then put your Nuvi in normal navigation mode, and make sure you have good satellite reception. Now, go to map view and press the graphic for your vehicle. The screen will change to show you the coordinates of where you are (in your home presumably) Then press save and name the location as "Home". From then on, Home will be those coordinates and not a map address that is a bit off.
    thanks! NICK98338....you give me an idea where to start to figure it out. Now everything is working fine...here's what i did>>>

1. first make sure you are parked on your driveway or infront of your house.
    2. then i delete my home to my favorite.
    3. then i press go home since you dont have current address set up, it ask you to enter your address. I SKIP THAT...note: do not enter your address. go to next option.
    4. press "use current location."
    WALLAH..my marker "home flags" re-adjusted with my car located.
    5. and by the way dont forget to save it.
    i hope this will help other people how to figure this problem..
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Actually you lost me with steps 3 and 4. :)

All you really need to do is follow Nick's instructions - delete the old "home" favorite, tap the screen, tap save and name it "home".

But as long as it works for you, it's all good!