This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.



Last Active
Member, Expert
  • Importing custom POI's

    I'm not aware of the POI Converter software but it may be it that is taking the POI name and forcing it down to old IBM computer standard with an 8 character size limit.

    I'd suggest you give Extra POI Editor a shot as I haven't heard of this problem using it to convert OV2 to CSV files. You can find EPE at

    If that doesn't work and you don't get any more response here, I'd try where there are a lot of POI experts (many of them members here as well ;) )
  • Changing route(s)

    The 3597 uses via points as destinations by default but it's more than simple to change them to shaping points if you are using trip planner. Just load your trip and the list of via points screen appears on the screen that has the Map and GO icons on it. Tap the "FLAG" to the left of any of the waypoints between the starting point and the end point and the Nuvi will ask you if you want to change the waypoint to a shaping point. Say yes and your good to go.
  • Need Help With New Garmin RV 760LMT

    If your talking about the EULA screens appearing when you first turn the device on, they will disappear once you use the device to travel for at least 20 seconds going over 3 MPH. Once this requirement has been met, the EULAs should no longer appear during startup.

    If your talking about the single WARNING screen that appears about using the device while the vehicle is moving then NO you can't disable that screen. It will disappear without user intervention after about 10 seconds.
  • What awesome places has your GPS taken you?

    A couple of years ago, took the 15 hour ferry ride from Port Hardy, BC, on the Vancouver Island, to Prince Rupert, BC through the inland passage. Spectacular trip, especially with the Nuvi keeping track of where we were.

  • Aerial imagery on the Nuvi?

    The issue I had with Basecamp and MapInstall was that I had to copy the garmindevice.xml from the GPS to the SD card, unhook the GPS from the computer, remove the card from the GPS, put the card in a Card Reader, insert the reader in to my computer and then run Basecamp or Mapinstall. All of this just to get the new map file to install on the card.

    Sorry, I was doing a butch of stuff last night involving extracting files and yours wasn't one of them. What I actually did was once I had the .img file on the SD card for one of my devices (using Basecamp) and tested it , I moved it to my desktop and then copied it to the Map Folder on either device or the SD card on the second GPS as needed.

    Having the .img file from " " would have saved a few steps there. :)
  • CN NA 2017.30

    Yes, over a 6GB download but that's all types of maps - road, 3D, DEM, JCV, plus Voice Recognition, etc. and the downloaded map data isn't compressed which is part of the work done on your computer prior to the transfer to the GPS.

    Borrowing from a post alandb made on another site, the files installed on a 3597 look like this:

    2,600 gmap3d.gma
    240,615,424 gmap3d.img
    25 gmap3d.unl
    623,591,424 gmapdem.img
    2,600 gmapprom.gma
    2,796,290,048 gmapprom.img
    25 gmapprom.unl

    68,040,926 05j7k9a8.srx (replaces 05hpwx6o.srx)
    459,728,310 05j7k9a9.asr (replaces 05hpwx6p.asr)
    69,440,535 05j7k9aa.asr (replaces 05hpwx6q.asr)
    243,844,587 05j7k9ab.asr (replaces 05hpwx6r.asr)
    541,111,533 05j7k9ac.asr (replaces 05hpwx6s.asr)

    508,488,002 d3191210a.jcv (replaces d3191200a.jcv)

    620,622,473 d2656230a.sid (replaces d2656220a.sid)
    436,010,119 d3157210a.sid (replaces d3157200a.sid)
    159,677,220 d3398200a.sid (replaces d3398190a.sid)
    132,684,786 d3406200a.sid (replaces d3406190a.sid)

    9,949,184 d3397200a.db (replaces d3397190a.db)

    More like 3 to 4GB of data installed on the Nuvi.

    What I noticed after installing the device software update and then downloading the map update was:

    - GE initially crapped out and reported an error that it couldn't download the update
    - MapUpdater downloaded about 65% of the update and then went back to 50% before continuing to completion
    - MapUpdater reported it has successfully installed the maps on to the device (which it had) but that could not install them to may computer except the files are on my computer and work fine in BaseCamp.